We thought we’d take some time today to address some common questions and issues that arise with Facebook business accounts. Here are the top three – straight from the developers and customer service at Facebook!
1.) How do I claim a Facebook page that already exists for your business?
A Facebook Page may exist for your business even if you or someone else from your business didn’t create it. This happens for a variety of reasons. For example, when someone checks into a place that doesn’t already have a Page, a new Page is created to represent the location.
If you’re the official representative of an organization, business, celebrity or brand and someone else has created a Page for it, you can report the Page. If no one is managing the Page, you can request to claim it. From the Page you want to claim:
- Click and select Is this your business?
- Click to check the box next to I am an official representative of [Page Name] and click Continue.
- Enter information about your relationship with the business and click Continue.
- Verify your connection to the business by Email or Documentation:
- Email: Choose this option if you have an email address associated with your Facebook account that’s officially issued to you by your business. Email addresses from generic providers like Yahoo! or Gmail will not be accepted. The email address should correspond to your business’s name (ex: email@example.com).
- Documentation: Choose this option to upload a scanned copy or photo of an official document that shows your business’s name and address (ex: phone bill, business license, business tax file or articles of incorporation).
- Click Submit.
Allow up to one week for your request to be reviewed. If your request is accepted, you’ll become an admin of the Page.
Once you’ve claimed your Page, you may be able to merge it with any duplicate Pages that you have. The Pages must represent the same thing and have similar names to be eligible for merging. If the Pages have physical locations, make sure the addresses are the same.
2.) How do I merge two pages for the same business?
If you’re a manager-level admin of both Pages, you may be able to merge them. This option is only available for Pages that represent the same thing and have similar names.
To merge your Pages:
- From the top of the Page you want to keep, click Edit Page
- Select Edit Settings
- Click Merge Pages and click Merge duplicate Pages
- Click to check the box next to the Page you want to merge
- Click Merge Pages
The people who like your Pages and check-ins will be combined, but all other content such as posts, photos and the username will be permanently deleted from the Page you merge. Content on the Page you want to keep will remain unchanged, except for the addition of people who like your Page and check-ins that were merged from the other Page. The Page you don’t want to keep will be removed from Facebook, and you won’t be able to unmerge it.
Note: If you don’t see the option to merge your Pages, it means that your Pages can’t be merged at this time.
3.) How do I add or make someone an admin to a Facebook page?
To add an admin to your Page, you have to be a manager-level admin. To add an admin:
- Click Edit Page at the top of your Page.
- Select Manage Admin Roles.
- If the new admin is your Facebook friend, begin typing their name and select them from the list that appears. If the new admin is not your Facebook friend, enter their email address.
- Click Content Creator to select an admin role from the dropdown menu.
- Click Save and enter your password to confirm.
The new admin can accept or reject the admin invite by going to facebook.com/pages and clicking Invites at the top. Depending on their settings, they may also receive a notification or an email.